Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Life-Long Enemy

Goal: My goal is to cut out sugar for 2 weeks. That's my initial goal, but I'd love to stay sugar free. I'd like to lose 15 pounds. I think by cutting out sugar, I'll feel better, lose weight, and have more energy. I'm giving it 2 weeks to see if that's the case.

I was convicted of my sugar gluttony watching a video that compared the effects of fructose with the effects of alcohol. With two alcoholic parents, it struck me hard. I watched the effect of alcohol on their marriage. I watched my mom change as she drank, and get harsh and just not herself. I watched her writhe on a bed with a broken hip, long term results of an alcohol-induced fall, I watched her suffer, not knowing her liver and lungs were shutting down at the same time. I miss my mom, and wished she had lived differently so she might be alive. With God's help, I want to give a different example to my kids and be alive to see my grand-kids, no small feat since I had my kids later in life.

My days are in God's hands, and I know he can shorten or lengthen them. And he can certainly let me live the consequences of my sugar addiction. I also know in Him is the power to live right and to withstand temptation. I know I will need to cry out to Him for that power day by day and at times second by second. One of the fruits of the Spirit is self control!

Stats: I'm 5'6" tall, and weighed in at a whopping 66 kilos, 145 pounds. I had it down to 139 before our 5 week McDonald-munching-BurgerKing-Banqueting-Wendy's-Wolfing trip to the states. My goal weight is 130. (I was 120 pounds when we got married 14 years ago, but I figure I get a few extra pounds for having 6 kids. See how good I am at justifying?)

Daily update: Today is Day 1. I think it went easier than I expected mainly because I am mad at myself for not having more self control and for not doing this a year ago when my sister invited me to try it with her. So that anger-adrenalin is pumping. I ate an egg and a banana for breakfast, 1/2 glass milk mid-morning. For lunch, we had rice, red beans, corn and pork. Veggie??? Oops! Maybe tomorrow. I had a few nectarine slices as a snack this afternoon, and am going to make pizza for supper. I plan to eat the gluten free variety that I make for my husband and sons that are gluten-intolerant. I don't think flour helps me meet my goals at all. Flour and sugar are the enemy of the day.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for starting this blog and for challenging the one who challenged you :). Can you share the link to the video you watched. Keep on calling out to the Lord!! I am taking the challenge, starting April 19,2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/04/20/sugar-dangers.aspx

      It's not the top video that I watched but the second video down, called Sugar: the Bitter Truth. There are 4 reasons I don't recommend it, though: There are a couple of bad words, the guys is obviously blind to the truth that there is capital-g GOD as he referred to Him as G_d, and it gets really technical in the middle. But I didn't know any of that when I started watching it, and I think as far as the science of sugar damage, he's probably solid. Oh, and reason #4 it's really long!

      Delete
  2. Yes - thanks Renee! I'd like to watch the video too. Maybe that would motivate me. I've been doing really good lately adding exercise to my routine daily, but I have such a huge emotional attachment to sugar that it's a huge struggle. I want to take the challenge, but I keep failing - arghh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Terry! I have NOT figured out how to add in exercise. David does exercises with the kids while I fix breakfast, and I kind of follow along, but it's more to stretch out my neck than aerobic! I KNOW how strong the emotional sugar strands are, I wanted to do it that whole year after Beth's challenge, but just knew I would fail. I cried out to the Lord to take away the desire for it, and He almost completely did. But before that, I felt like I couldn't last 14 hours, much less 14 days without it. Is 40:28-31 He gives power to the weak. And to those who have no might, He increases strength!

      Side note: The kids and I are memorizing Isaiah 40:28-31 NKJV that I put to song to help us memorize it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgxAIkYPDOg.

      Whether on a no sugar eating plan or not, these are great truths! We are memorizing slowly through the Fighter Verses, and are really enjoying them.

      Delete